Saturday, December 22, 2007

Happy Winter Solstice

Today is the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. It also marks the first day of the winter season. Perhaps it's because of my love of astronomy and history, but I've always found the winter solstice to be rather romantic and atmospheric. The mere term conjures images of quiet, snow-laden trees without and logs burning in a crackling fire within... of shadow and dark surrounding a golden hearth. A vague air of mystery and mysticism pervades the dormant world on such a day, as we await and celebrate the coming rebirth.

It is currently 56 degrees, a bit chilly for us thin-blooded Angelinos, but even we are not self-indulgent enough to build a roaring fire tonight. Still, in the spirit of the solstice and all its attendant festivities, I did purchase a bottle of Chaucer's Mead from Trader Joe's (surely one of the best food stores in existence). The bottle came with two packets of spices for making mulled wine. The label certainly prods me to revisit The Canterbury Tales one of these days, but I digress. I am feeling particularly sentimental as we prepare ourselves to settle into a cozy winter. As I sip from my mug of mulled wine tonight, I will be thinking, "Happy Solstice Day to all, and to all a glorious winter season."

No comments: