Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Musings

Just a few random thoughts as I sit here tapping away at my keyboard after a day full of laughter, much food, DVD and TV movies, some snippets of sports, and overall good cheer. The house is quiet, as several family members have turned in early (some in preparation for a long drive back home in the wee hours of the morning). However, fragments of Christmas tunes are still floating in and out of my head. I recently learned (from wikipedia, of course) that the singing of Christmas carols derives from the Old English tradition of wassailing, the practice of singing door to door "until paid to go away and leave the occupants in peace." How funny; I never realized annoyance was a factor in caroling!

This time of year, Christmas-related commercials clog the airways. Some are cute, some cloyingly sentimental, some irritating, and some just plain lame. Perhaps this exposes me for the sap I am, but I do have a favorite. Disney has used this Dumbo ad a couple years in a row now, but I chuckle over its adorable cleverness every time I see it. It's been years since I've visited Disneyland, but this ad makes me want to go again, just to become a kid again for a day. In many ways, that's what the holiday season allows us to do: recapture some of our childhood joys and innocence (and without the hefty entrance fee!). Merry Christmas, dear readers! Hope and peace to all...

No comments: