Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Bouquet of Daisies


Due to the Country Music Awards, I wasn't able to get my weekly fix of Pushing Daisies tonight. So, I thought I'd relive the show's finest verbal moments by listing some of my favorite quotes thus far. A bouquet of Daisies quotes, if you will. (No, I do not have a photographic memory. Yes, I am enough of a geek that I re-watched the episodes online to jot down quotes. But, to be fair, I also re-watched the episodes simply to enjoy them.) Anyway, here goes.
  1. Emerson: Words that sound alike get mixed up in my head.
    Olive: Me too. I used to think masturbation meant chewing your food. (pause) I don’t think that anymore.
  2. Chuck: I'd kiss you if it wouldn't kill me.
  3. Narrator: In fact, Emerson Cod had finished knitting a sweater vest and two handgun cozies in the week since Chuck's return.
  4. Olive: This isn't Pies 'R Us, Pie City, or Thousands of Pies in One Place. This is a bells-on-the-door, pies-baking, mom-and-pop place. We chit-chat here. Chit!
  5. Ned: What's so great about knowing? When you lift up a rock, do you find whipped cream? No, you find worms. I say no to knowing.
  6. Chuck: You love secrets. You want to marry secrets and have little half-secret half-human babies.
  7. Mark Chase: The Dandy Lion car is the culmination of my life's work. It's a flower-powered phenomenon born of a thousand sleepless nights, intense Ritalin abuse, and a long sublimated interest in botany. So what if in the unlikely but not impossible event that the car gets up to a speed of 70 miles an hour, with the headlights on, and the seat warmer on low, a short circuit in the radio causes a cataclysmic chain reaction that blows the car and its precious human cargo to smithereens?
  8. Narrator: Emerson Cod did not like to knit in public, but he often left the house with the needles in his pocket should an opportunity to rib-stitch a ski cap present itself.
  9. Chuck: Remember, mind over matter makes Pooh un-fatter.
    Emerson: I may be stuck, but I can still reach my gun.
  10. Chuck: Kick, Pooh, kick!
  11. Wilford Woodruff: I think you should know that I was thrice named alternate sword master at the southern area regional volunteer infantry reenactment regiment.
    Ned: I wanted to be a Jedi.
  12. Ned: I'm gonna see if I've got some plastic wrap.
  13. Emerson: Is that a dead bird? Why are you holding a dead bird? Throw that away. It's swimming with disease, and you serve food!
  14. Emerson: What is the rate of exchange on the life of a bird? Because if it's equal to or greater than mine, I need to get back to my car.
  15. Ned: It's raining dead birds!
  16. Emerson: Because Big Daddy needs some new yarn.
  17. Ned: He's not Conrad; he's the hijacker. And he's going to the bathroom in my kitchen!
    Chuck: Boy, you miss one trip to the morgue.
  18. Ned: Good news is you're not blind. Bad news is you're dead.
  19. Ned: Why did they send it to Nam? Do the Vietnamese need windmills?
    Chuck: NARM--National Area of Retired Mills.
  20. Elsita: Oh no, you didn't use bows to tie me up, did you? You take a hostage like you tie your sneakers!
  21. Olive: Ned hates Halloween, you know. Makes him moodier than a pumpkin full of PMS.
  22. Ned: They put a bomb in your daybed?
  23. Emerson: His goat killed you?
  24. Olive: Sweet Secretariat.
    Emerson: That don't look like John Joseph.
    Olive: A horse with no name.
    Emerson: Or legs.
    (shudder)
  25. Chuck (to Digby): You know what we are? We're the walking dead on Halloween.
  26. Chuck: First of all, huh? And secondly, Olive thinks that I faked my death, which is completely different to knowing that I'm dead.
    Emerson: Yeah, different like purple and mauve.
  27. Mama Jacobs: Well, you wouldn't need all that bait if your belly were full of fish, dear.
  28. Vivian (about weekly pies): I don't know how we survived without it. It's like a sex addiction. I would imagine.
  29. Chuck: What if he changes when his blood sugar level drops?
    Olive: Like a hypoglycemic werewolf!
  30. Olive: Tell Ned I love . . . his pies.
  31. Emerson: I love you, shovel!
  32. (doorbell)
    Vivian: Is that clock right? It's two o'clock in the a.m.!
    Lily: I'll get my gun.
    Vivian: And I'll get the candy bowl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the work (and fun) that went into this! Reading these after the fact really makes you see how unique and thoughtful the show is on so many levels. These great one-liners tend to slip by too quickly when you're watching it on TV.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You do love your Daisies! I hope you'll keep growing the list. It's fun to read one line and suddenly remember the whole scene and/or show around it.