Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Mmmm.... Ratatouille...

Since the Ratatouille DVD was released today, I will take this opportunity to extol this little gem of a film. Only Pixar can take an animal so traditionally reviled and make it not only cute and sympathetic, but get away with placing said critter in a restaurant kitchen!
The movie has heart, humor, and the usual Pixar standard of amazing visuals. The scenes of Paris are breathtakingly gorgeous; they made me ache for a return to the magical City of Light. And the food, which rivaled the culinary masterpieces one might see on the Food Network, actually made me hungry. (Never mind that the dishes were being prepared by a rat.) As for the characters, they are rendered with such detail that I swear you can see every hair on Remy's furry little body.
This feel-good movie brimming with artistry and laugh-out-loud moments will have you cheering for its unlikely but lovable hero. I think I'm going to go to amazon and order it right now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I saw this movie, I was afraid that little kids would think real rats would make good pets. To my horror, I read recently that UK is experiencing a surge in pet rat sales (opened in Oct. for UK).

Anonymous said...

In response to triviaduchess: though I wouldn't have one myself (at least not a real one; I already have a couple of stuffed animal mice/rats), my husband used to have 2 pet rats (before I knew him). So it's not a new idea . . . but I would strongly urge people to go to the pet store rather than catching the household menace.