Monday, July 14, 2008

Finally Finished

A couple of weekends ago, I finally finished the last book in the Harry Potter saga. My quest in reading all 7 books in sequence got a little off-track in the middle of rereading book 5 (my least favorite title in the series). After a 3+ month hiatus, I got through the remaining 300 pages of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and zipped through books 6 and 7. I must admit, after book 5, I was starting to lose interest and told myself I was going to finish the series just for the sake of doing so. However, Rowling's masterful plotting and lively pacing of the last 2 books recaptured my heart and mind. I was riveted by all the twist and turns as well as the interplay with the previous books in the series. After Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, I felt baffled at how all the loose ends could possibly be tied up effectively and convincingly in one final volume. And yet, that is exactly what Rowling did: provide a deeply satisfying conclusion in an elegant, believable, and human way. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is perhaps my new favorite in the series (prior to this, I was particularly partial to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban). What Rowling achieved with her Harry Potter books is a remarkable feat of imagination skillfully executed with warmth, heart, and whimsy tempered with darkness. Like millions of readers, I have enjoyed going along for the ride on this magical journey. For me, the series couldn't have ended in a better way. I actually can't wait to see books 6 and 7 brought to life in film.
P.S. I don't know about you, but I loved what Rowling did with the Snape story. ;)

1 comment:

Joseph said...

Yay! You finished! The Snape story was certainly clever. I was on a business trip when I was reading book 6. I couldn't put it down.