Monday, January 28, 2008

Aussie Open: Final Impressions

I can't say I'm terribly thrilled with the final results of the Australian Open, but there were some brilliant matches during this past fortnight. Alas, my favorite champions faltered, and while I admit the eventual winners played extremely well and deserved their titles, they're just not my cup of tea. Sharapova is too flashy and shrieky, and Djokovic's preening and excessive ball-bouncing are rather irritating. However, I did find an exciting new player to root for: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. What he accomplished in his match against Nadal was utterly amazing. I was awestruck as I watched shot after unbelievable shot. As an avid supporter of underdogs, I was hoping that he'd emerge the Aussie Open Champion. Still, his remarkable run was quite an achievement. All in all, it was an exciting tournament, with many unexpected results. We tennis fans certainly have much to look forward to this season!

No comments: