Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Coraline Out on DVD/Blu-Ray

Hurray! Coraline was released today on DVD and Blu-ray in exactly the way I'd hoped: with both the 2D and the 3D versions, accompanied by 4 pairs of 3D glasses. When I saw the movie in the theater months ago, I was blown away by its visual artistry. It had such an amazing look and atmosphere.
The stop-motion film was beautiful, sinister, compelling, heartwarming, humorous, and haunting. This is admittedly an odd amalgam, but it really worked. I saw the movie in 2D, and it was gorgeous, but I remained very curious about the 3D version. I hoped the DVD would include both versions, and it does!
When I can manage to find a bit of free time, I'd also like to reread Neil Gaiman's novel for a fresh comparison. The film did a wonderful job of bringing his work to vibrant, animated life, but there were also deviations (e.g., the character of Wybie, who I actually rather liked). So much to do, see, and read... and, as always, so little time!

No comments: