Sunday, September 21, 2008

Musings on Marketing Trends

When the 100-calorie snack packs first came out a few years ago, I had no idea just how far this trend would go. My sister was the one who informed me that the trend had a name: forced portion control. (Sounds a bit serious, doesn't it?) It makes perfect marketing sense, of course, given America's obesity epidemic. At the time, however, I simply thought the packaging convenient, and on occasion, the light snacks surprisingly rivaled their original, full-caloried counterparts in tastiness. More recent walks through the grocery store, or indeed any store that peddles packaged foods, reveal just how widespread this trend has gone. It seems you can find anything in the 100-calorie form. My favorite is the mini soft drink can. I find it appealing, not because it's only 100 calories, but because of what I call the "kawaii factor." Kawaii is the Japanese word for "cute," and these little cans just look so darn cute!
It's not just food that takes advantage of the kawaii factor. Take a look at these movie images. Is not Wall-E a kawaii version of the Short Circuit robot?
And take a look at the evolution of the iPod nano between the 2nd and 3rd generations. The 3G nano definitely has the kawaii factor going on.
Of course, the 4G nano is back to a tall and slim design, so I guess the pendulum is swinging back to the other side. Regardless, Apple certainly leads the market in product design, packaging, and marketing.

No comments: