Thursday, January 10, 2008

Matzo, Matzo Ball

As you know, I was waging a war last weekend against a relapse of my cold. My main tactics involved staying in, not doing much, and sleeping a lot. I did venture out on Saturday evening to acquire additional artillery: homemade chicken soup with matzo ball from Weiler's Deli. The item had been on my mind since my friend Rockhopper suggested it. I'd only had matzo ball soup once before, when Rockhopper and I visited New York in 2006. I was expecting more of the same, but I was quite surprised when I got home. Opening my to-go bag, I found one tub of chicken noodle soup and one tub of matzo balls. Make that one tub containing two matzo balls. Two ginormous matzo balls.
The above photo shows part of my leftovers. (To give you an idea of the proportion, the tureen used here is approximately 8 inches in diameter.) As you can imagine, it took quite a while (3 or 4 meals) to finish the daunting matzo balls; the chicken soup, however, disappeared at a much faster rate. Much as the canon-ball-sized matzo amused me, it didn't seem well thought out on a gustatory level.

P.S. The title of this blog should be sung to the tune of the Village People's "Macho Man." This connection was inspired by a video that my friend the self-proclaimed EvilRedhead forwarded me.

No comments: