Monday, October 29, 2007

Hum-Dinger

Yesterday was a rather anticlimactic end to the baseball season. As a champion of underdogs, I was really hoping the Colorado Rockies would fare better. Alas, the 8-day layoff between the NLCS and the World Series seemed to have robbed them of their magical spark. Since my own teams had very little impact in this year's playoffs (the Angels were trounced in the first round, and the Dodgers did not even make the playoffs), I was rooting for the Rockies to continue their miraculous winning streak. Or at least give us a long, interesting battle in the World Series. Oh well. Running into a brick wall in the shape of the formidable Red Sox certainly doesn't take away from the Rockies' amazing accomplishment of winning 21 out of 22 games this fall, forcing and winning a one-game playoff with San Diego, and winning 7 straight in the NLDS and NLCS.

And now, to the main reason for this post. Because of the increased media coverage of the Rockies in the past month, I started to notice their unique mascot during a lot of broadcast games. Thinking that the purple triceratops was cute and funny, I did some online research and found that the Rockies chose a dinosaur for their mascot because fossils were uncovered when they dug the foundation to build Coors Field. Now, that's a pretty cool connection. I also found, to much amusement, that the mascot's name is Dinger (for non-baseball fans, that's slang for home run) and that there are fans who passionately call for the demise of the hapless dino as well as fans who stoutly champion their beloved Dinger. I must admit, I was a bit surprised by the vehemence of the Dinger-haters. Personally, I think a triceratops is a way better mascot than many of the other bizarre creatures gracing the MLB universe. Case in point: take a look at the Philly Phanatic. I mean, really, which would you prefer as your team's mascot?














I guess I simply like mascots that actually resemble a recognizable animal. Cuteness, of course, and comic quality are factors too. Here are a couple of other MLB mascots that I like: San Francisco's Lou Seal (please note that liking a team's mascot does not mean I like the team!) and Florida's Billy the Marlin.














One last thing: I kind of understand why the Seattle Mariners' mascot is a moose, given the Northwest connection. However, as an English major, I've always thought it'd be hilarious if the Mariners' mascot were an albatross. Yes, I realize that not many people would get the reference to Coleridge's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," but wouldn't you like to see this intimidating figure staring down the opponents?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about the mascots. I have to say I didn’t realize so many teams still had them. I need to stop listening to the radio and watch more games!

I assumed mascots were more popular in my youth, probably because as a kid I appreciated them more. Then I remembered seeing the horse-in-uniform mascot, named Rangers Captain, at Texas Rangers games. He didn’t get on the field and dance like the San Diego Chicken of old, but he was always walking the concourse, taking pictures with kids. Maybe because of that, I didn’t consider him the Rangers official mascot, but more of a Chuck-E-Cheese employee. But, that’s what a mascot is, isn’t it?

I heard you Photoshopped that albatross photo. That’s hilarious – well done! The albatross would inevitably be abused by opposing fans, who would come to games with “dead” albatross toys tied around their necks. But remembering Coleridge’s rime (is that a real word?), that would doom opponents to death where they stand, or worse – Tampa Bay cellar-dwelling. So it really is a great mascot for Seattle!

Plus, it looks tough as hell.

—Keith P.

Scrappy said...

I never paid that much attention to the mascots as I once did as a child.. I really love the Colorado Rockies mascot, he reminds me of Barney. Thanks you are a breath of fresh air