Thursday, October 25, 2007

Everything's Coming Up Daisies

I cannot say enough about this season's quirky, enchanting new show, Pushing Daisies. Not only is it a visual delight--full of vibrant colors and breathtaking imagery--but it also delights the soul with its whimsy, humor, romance, and tincture of darkness. There truly is nothing quite like it on television. The show is a modern fairy tale peopled with very human, albeit unusual characters inhabiting a world that is both familiar and otherwordly. There is a touching (pun somewhat intended) tenderness underlying the sometimes witty, sometimes sardonic, and sometimes laugh-out-loud funny moments.
This lavish storybook-come-to-life has captured my heart. It engages my senses, my emotions, and my intellect. The creators of the show cleverly include so many visual and verbal details that you notice something new every time you watch it. And the chemistry among the cast members, particularly between Lee Pace and Anna Friel, is sparkling. I have to admit, I am rather enamored of Lee Pace in the role of Ned the Pie Maker. He is absolutely adorable and such a sweetheart. ;P
Since the series finale of Frasier, I have not faithfully followed a show until now. I've managed to catch every episode of Pushing Daisies so far and have even re-watched some episodes online. It is such a wonderful breath of fresh air in this age of reality TV; I am utterly charmed and hope it stays on the air for many seasons to come.

No comments: